Understand your reproductive options with Monash Ultrasound for Women’s Genetic Carrier Screening Test. This simple saliva test allows you to choose between a three gene panel or an expanded 400+ gene panel and understand your chances of passing on genetic conditions.
This test is available to everyone, you do not need to be an existing patient to access Monash Ultrasound for Women’s genetic carrier screening test. Please call any of our MUFW Clinics to book an appointment. Alternatively, you can order via our sister clinic Monash IVF, and opt to have a saliva test sent to you to complete in the comfort of your own home.
Take control of your reproductive health with Genetic Carrier Screening
If you want to have a baby one day, Genetic Carrier Screening will provide you with the information you need to make informed choices about your reproductive health.
Genetic Carrier Screening will help you understand your chances of having a baby with single gene conditions, including cystic fibrosis, spinal muscular atrophy and Fragile X syndrome.
Why you should consider Genetic Carrier Screening
- To understand you and your partner’s combined genetic information, so you can make informed decisions about your options for conceiving.
- No needles or hospitals are required – it’s an easy saliva test you can do at home.
- Our expert genetic counselling team and fertility specialists are on hand to support you and provide you with personalised advice about your options.
- About 1 in 30 reproductive couples who have expanded genetic carrier screening will find out they have an increased chance of having a child with a single gene condition.
The ‘Order now’ link above will take you to the Monash IVF site to complete your order.
Which panel is right for me?
There are two options for genetic carrier screening panels:
- The three gene panel tests for 3 conditions: cystic fibrosis, fragile X syndrome and spinal muscular atrophy. Around 1 in 200 couples screen positive.
- The expanded panel tests for 400+ conditions, including the 3 conditions above and other common conditions such as thalassaemia and Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). The full list of conditions screened for is available to view here. Collectively, around 1 in 30 reproductive couples screen positive.
Medicare has recently introduced a rebate for three gene genetic carrier screening.
We strongly recommend that patients consider the expanded panel, as it offers significant additional information and insight about potential conditions that may be passed onto children.
- The three gene carrier screening does not test for other common conditions. Although cystic fibrosis, spinal muscular atrophy and Fragile X syndrome are relatively common, they are much less common than the hundreds of conditions screened by expanded carrier screening when considered as a group.
- Expanded carrier screening is a pan-ethnic test which makes it more inclusive and relevant to people of all ethnicities. It screens for hundreds of serious genetic conditions that can significantly affect the health of a future child. Many carrier screening platforms are based on individuals of Caucasian ancestry. We have chosen a test that is relevant to all ethnicities.
|Genetic Carrier Screening Options
|Conditions included in screen
|Patient OOP (for Medicare eligible individuals)
|N/A (bulk billed)
|Number of couples who screen positive
|Approx. 1 in 200
|Approx. 1 in 30
|At-home saliva or in-clinic blood test options
|Support from an in-house, qualified Genetic Counsellor
|Support from reproductive and genetic experts in the event of a high-risk result
|Test for top 3 conditions among Caucasian Australians
|Test for top 10 conditions among Caucasian Australians
|Test for top 3 conditions among other ethnic groups
|Customised panels possible where required (e.g., for donor matching)
What’s the cost?
Three gene carrier screening is eligible for the Medicare rebate. To access this rebate, you will be required to enter your Medicare number and upload a photo or scanned copy of a referral from your GP. Please ensure you have signed your referral form before uploading.
Monash Ultrasound for Women’s Genetic Carrier Screening Test costs vary depending on which panel you are ordering and whether you are ordering an individual or couple test.
The fee includes:
- The test itself.
- Expert analysis of your sample by leading genetic scientists.
- Results interpretation and support from our genetic counselling team.
A note for patients wanting to access the expanded panel:
It is recommended that couples (or patients using a known donor) buy two tests at the discounted rate of $990 rather than two individual tests. The individual test is customised for individuals who require more information and counselling with comparison with a donor profile or a previous result.