Dr Simon Meagher
BSc (Hons), MB BCH BAO, FRCPI, FRCOG, FRANZCOG, DDU, COGU
As Medical Director of Monash Ultrasound for Women, Dr Simon Meagher oversees a team of 50 sonologists, sonographers, genetic counsellors, phlebotomists and administrative staff in delivering a tertiary level ultrasound service across south east Melbourne.
Dr Meagher has dedicated 25 years of his term as Director to teaching and lecturing in obstetric and gynaecological ultrasound both locally and overseas.
In 2015 he was awarded ‘Sonologist of The Year’ by the Australian Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (ASUM) in recognition of his commitment to hands on training within the hospital setting at the Mercy Hospital for Women, his commitment and contributions to ASUM and the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Dr Meagher has delivered over 700 lectures, across 15 countries, and 40 cities worldwide. He has conducted predominantly clinical research in obstetric ultrasound, with a focussed interest in early pregnancy screening and diagnosis.
Over the last three years he has published 70 articles in peer review journals, including 15 in the last three years focusing on first trimester pregnancy screening and diagnosis.
Dr Meagher has described five original sonographic fetal markers during the first and second trimesters of pregnancy. He is now focusing his interest on aneuploidy and embryo development from seven to 10 weeks as we approach the dawn of a new era of genetic screening via free fetal DNA analysis.
Dr Meagher has taken on multiple leadership positions – early in his career as the Chair of the Standards of Practice Committee at ASUM, examiner and executive board member for the ASUM Diploma of diagnostic ultrasound and later as council member of ASUM . Thereafter he served as Chairman of the Victoria Obstetric Sonologists group and on several task force and education committees at the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetric and Gynaecological Ultrasound.
Dr Meagher is consultant sonologist at the Perinatal department, Mercy Hospital for Women, Melbourne.
Most recently he was appointed as an Associate Professor at the University of Melbourne.
- A/Professor University of Melbourne (2020)
- Medical Director Monash Ultrasound for Women (Current position)
- ISUOG Ambassador to Asia and Pacific region
- ISUOG International faculty of speakers
- ISUOG Joint Head of Courses committee
- ISUOG Online education committee
- ISUOG – VISUOG committee
- Lecturer Monash University (1996 – present)
- Honorary Lecturer University of Melbourne (1996 – 2019)
- Council Member, Australian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (ASUM) (2007-2012)
- Chairman Standards of Practice Committee, Australian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (2007 – 2012)
- Board Member, Diploma in Diagnostic Ultrasound (DDU) Australian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (2005-2015)
- Examiner for Diploma in Diagnostic Ultrasound (DDU), Australian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (2007-2012)
- Board Director, Monash Ultrasound for Women (Monash IVF Group, Australia) (2011 – 2015)
- Consultant Obstetrician Gynaecologist Sonologist, Mercy Hospital for Women (1996 – present)
- Consultant Sonologist Monash Ultrasound for Women (Current position)
- Chairman Melbourne (Victorian) Obstetric Sonologists (2010- 2014)